Woah, I can’t believe it’s time for Secret Recipe Club again! I know I say it every month, but I guess the fact that I post on the third Monday of the month really highlights the fact that another month is almost gone! It is almost AUGUST, how the heck did that happen?
I only have 2 months until I’m back at Uni :((((((( Dreading it, but that’s a whole other topic for another day.
This month I was assigned Brittany’s blog We Heart Vegan. I have to admit this has been my most challenging Secret Recipe post! I’m not vegan, but I really enjoyed looking through Brittany’s blog and finding vegan alternatives to food I love.
I’m not a massive fan of mozzarella, but my other half loves it so I decided to make these mozzarella sticks for him primarily. However, I tried one and, fresh and oozing out of the pan, they were delicious!!!
- 10oz block of hard mozzarella cheese (the kind you can slice easily)
- Oil for frying
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ - 1 cup cold water
- 1tbsp cornmeal/semonlina
- ½tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½tsp salt
- ½tsp parsley
- ½tsp ground black pepper
- ½tsp Italian seasoning
- ½tsp garlic powder
- ¼tsp onion powder
- Marinara sauce/salsa for dipping
- In a medium sized bowl place the flour, garlic powder, salt and cornmeal. Add ½ cup of water, mix and then add more water if required. I needed closer to 1 cup. Mix until the batter resembles a pancake batter.
- Place the breadcrumbs, salt, parsley, black pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic and onion powder into a wide, shallow bowl and toss together.
- Cut the cheese into 12 sticks, ours were about 1 inch by ½ inch.
- Heat up 3-4 inches of oil in a medium sized saucepan, on a medium heat.
- Place the mozzarella sticks into the wet batter and cover, then place the sticks into the breadcrumb mix and toss around until completely covered in breadcrumbs. Place on a tray until the oil has heated.
- The oil should bubble a bit, but not smoke. If it smokes, it's too hot!! We stuck a candy thermometer in and fried at 160C. Fry 3 sticks at a time, for about 45 seconds - 1 minute until golden brown.
- Place cooked mozzarella sticks onto a plate covered with kitchen towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve immediately with marinara sauce or salsa.
I link up at these great Link Parties!