I am officially old.
It’s my brother’s birthday today and he’s 18. Eighteen, what the hell!?
When did we all get so old?! I remember when he was a little blonde baby taking everything in sight apart with a screwdriver and running around naked. Now he’s an adult!
When I took my car for an MOT on Wednesday, my brother took me out for a drive in his car. Honestly, the weirdest experience of my life looking to my right and seeing my brother sat there driving me!!!
I’m a proper grown up now :/
Woah, this is too much for me, I’m going to stuff my face with brownies.
Dulce de Leche Swirl Brownies
- 90 g good quality dark chocolate
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 300 g light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125 g plain flour
- 25 g cocoa powder, I use Green & Blacks
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 400 g dulce de leche
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and grease and line an 8 x 8 inch pan.
- Break the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and add in the butter. Place in the microwave in 20 second increments stirring between everyone until everything is melted. (Make sure you stir for a good 30 seconds because chocolate can sometimes be melted, but still hold it's shape so if you stir a few lumps, you might not need to heat it again!) If you're not comfortable melting chocolate in the microwave then place the heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water and stir until melted.
- Leave to one side to cool. Place the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract into a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer and mix until smooth and well combined, about a minute on med-high speed.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt together into a medium bowl.
- Add the melted chocolate to the sugar and egg mixture and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Tip in the dry ingredients and fold in on a low speed until well combined.
- Add in the dulce de leche and stir by hand, don't incorporate entirely, leave lots of glorious swirls 🙂
- Pour the mixture into your baking pan and smooth over, being careful not to undo your work of making the swirls!
- Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out with a few crumbs still stuck to it.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin.
- Once cooled slice into 9-12 bars and store in an airtight container at room temperature for 4 days.
Recipe by Annie
I link up at these great Link Parties!