Woah, I can’t believe it’s time for Secret Recipe Club again! I know I say it every month, but I guess the fact that I post on the third Monday of the month really highlights the fact that another month is almost gone! It is almost AUGUST, how the heck did that happen?
I only have 2 months until I’m back at Uni :((((((( Dreading it, but that’s a whole other topic for another day.
This month I was assigned Brittany’s blog We Heart Vegan. I have to admit this has been my most challenging Secret Recipe post! I’m not vegan, but I really enjoyed looking through Brittany’s blog and finding vegan alternatives to food I love.
I’m not a massive fan of mozzarella, but my other half loves it so I decided to make these mozzarella sticks for him primarily. However, I tried one and, fresh and oozing out of the pan, they were delicious!!!
Oozing Mozzarella Sticks
- 10 oz block of hard mozzarella cheese
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 - 1 cup cold water
- 1 tbsp cornmeal/semonlina
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Marinara sauce/salsa for dipping
- In a medium sized bowl place the flour, garlic powder, salt and cornmeal. Add 1/2 cup of water, mix and then add more water if required. I needed closer to 1 cup. Mix until the batter resembles a pancake batter.
- Place the breadcrumbs, salt, parsley, black pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic and onion powder into a wide, shallow bowl and toss together.
- Cut the cheese into 12 sticks, ours were about 1 inch by 1/2 inch.
- Heat up 3-4 inches of oil in a medium sized saucepan, on a medium heat.
- Place the mozzarella sticks into the wet batter and cover, then place the sticks into the breadcrumb mix and toss around until completely covered in breadcrumbs. Place on a tray until the oil has heated.
- The oil should bubble a bit, but not smoke. If it smokes, it's too hot!! We stuck a candy thermometer in and fried at 160C. Fry 3 sticks at a time, for about 45 seconds - 1 minute until golden brown.
- Place cooked mozzarella sticks onto a plate covered with kitchen towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve immediately with marinara sauce or salsa.
I link up at these great Link Parties!