I don’t know if it’s just me, but when Summer comes around, I just have to make something with strawberries and white chocolate…
Last year, I made these Strawberry and White Chocolate Tartlets and this year I decided to make cookies, because… I am a cookie monster.
Just look at them, perfectly browned on the edges and soft in the middle. My idea of the PERFECT cookie! These cookies stay soft for up to a week, no kidding! Whenever I make cookies, I use my base recipe and everyone loves them 🙂
To make my cookies soft, I add 1tbsp of cornflour and to get the perfect chewiness, I don’t just use plain flour, but mix in a bit of bread flour too. These really are amazing.
Now onto the additions for this recipe, of course once you have a good base you can add pretty much anything, but today I decided on using baked strawberries and good old Green & Blacks white chocolate. I find that Green and Blacks is just the best, it doesn’t burn when you bake the cookies, isn’t gritty, keeps it shape, but oozes in the middle.
You can use chips or shop bought chunks, but I tend to chop my own chunks (I think secretly it’s because it means I can make huge chunks – I’m addicted to melted chocolate, so big oozing chunks are better than small!)
I was contemplating using freeze dried strawberries, which give a burst of flavour, but then I decided they may be a bit *too* intense for these cookies; with the white chocolate I thought they needed a light, sweet strawberry flavour, rather than a sharp burst.
You can buy baked strawberries on Amazon and in some supermarkets, I’ve seen them in Waitrose, but not in our Sainsbury’s 🙁 – I just snack on them as well, Urban Fruit do pineapple and berry mixes too, which are all divine!
I’d be wary of using fresh strawberries for these, I love baking with strawberries for desserts I’m serving immediately, but the cookies would only last around 2 days with fresh before going funny. I once made Strawberry scones and was hideously ill after eating them when they were 3 days old, baked is safer, take my word for it!!
So there we have it: perfect Summer cookies, easy to make and oh so satisfying!
Enjoyed this post? Sign up to my weekly newsletter to ensure you never miss a post!
Strawberry and White Chocolate Cookies
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup bread flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup White Chocolate chunks/chips
- 1 cup diced, baked strawberries (not Freeze dried - I used Urban Fruit)
- 1 3/4 sticks (200g) unsalted butter, at room temp
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- No need to preheat the oven yet, this dough needs to chill.
- Place the flours, bicarb and salt into a medium sized bowl. Add in the chocolate chunks and diced strawberries and stir until the chocolate and strawberries are coated.
- Place the butter and sugars into a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes on med-high speed.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla, scraping sides as necessary, and mix on med-high speed until well combined and smooth.
- Add in the flour mix and mix on low until a dough forms.
- Place the dough into a medium sized bowl and cover with cling film. Place in the fridge for 6 hours, but overnight if possible.
- Once chilled, preheat the oven to 180C/350F and line 2-3 baking trays. Using a 1.5tbsp cookie scoop, place dough balls 2 inches apart. Flatten ever so slightly with your hands, so they don't roll off the tray!
- Place in the oven for 8-11 minutes, until lightly browned in the middle and still soft and slightly under baked in the middle.
- Leave to cool completely on the trays. Once cooled, cookies will keep in an airtight container, at room temperature, for 5 days.
Recipe by Annie of Annie's Noms