In my opinion, you just can’t beat a bit of shortbread. I mean, it’s so simple, but 100% satisfying.
So, I decided to make you all a jazzed up version 🙂
The base is my go-to shortbread recipe, with just a little more sugar and the zest of 1 lemon. Since I think shortbread is so awesome, I made the base layer pretty thick.
This is also because the blueberry jam has quite a strong flavour, so I wanted to make sure the lemon and shortbread weren’t lost with the other flavours.
Then I slathered 3/4 cup of tart blueberry jam all over the shortbread and finished it off with a crumbly mix of oats, sugar, flour and butter. Bake it all up and you have these gorgeous bars.
I mean, what could be better?
Look at those pretty layers! You can see the odd fleck of lemon zest in the shortbread and then the oozing blueberry jam just looks delicious. The crumbly topping adds another dimension too; with sweet, caramel-ly flavours… ahhhhh bliss! 🙂
Even though this recipe has 3 layers, it’s ultra simple to put together, you can literally throw it together in 15 minutes (if that!) and it doesn’t have to look perfect!
You need this in your life! Jazzed up shortbread, which takes next to no time? This is sure to become a firm favourite!!
Enjoyed this post? Sign up to my weekly newsletter to ensure you never miss a post!
Blueberry and Lemon Shortbread Crumble Bars
- For the shortbread:
- 1 stick (113g) unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- For the filling:
- 3/4 cup blueberry jam, warmed in the microwave for 10-15 seconds
- For the crumble:
- 1/2 stick (56g) unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup oats, not quick cook
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and grease and line an 8x8 inch square pan.
- Place the butter, flours, icing sugar, lemon zest and salt into a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Mix on med-high for 2-3 minutes until you have a crumbly mix, with no large lumps of butter. This dough will not come together like a normal dough, that's fine!
- Tip the shortbread into your greased pan. Spread and level with a spatula/the back of a wooden spoon.
- In a separate, medium sized bowl, place the 1/2 stick of butter, flour, sugar and oats.
- Mix together with your fingers, until the mix resemble bread crumbs. Some larger lumps are fine. Leave to one side.
- Place the blueberry jam into a small heatproof bowl and heat for 10-15 seconds. This just makes it easier to spread.
- Pour over the shortbread and spread until level. Leave a small 1/2 inch gap around the edges.
- Sprinkle the jam layer with the crumble mix, it's fine if there are a few gaps.
- Place in the oven for 35-40 mins until the top is lightly browned, the jam is bubbling and an inserted skewer into the middle comes out piping hot.
- Leave to cool completely in the pan.
- Once cooled, slice into 9-12 bars. Bars will keep in an airtight container, at room temperature for 3 days.