Soft and fluffy Lemon and Blackberry muffins filled with crunchy little poppy seeds; the perfect, flavour filled way to kick start your day!
After the stress and upset of the last few weeks, it felt therapeutic to get back into the kitchen again and bake. It took my mind off things for a while, although it was strange not having my baking buddy waiting by the door for morsels of food.
I had the idea for these muffins a while back as I love the little bits of crunch that poppy seeds give to things and it seemed fitting to use poppy seeds in my first recipe since our Poppy passed.
As I write this, it’s typically dull and dreary outside (got to love the UK!) but these muffins are filling me with a little sunshine this morning. My heart might still be heavy, but biting into one of these heavenly Lemon and Blackberry Poppy Seed Muffins, I can’t help but feel a little bit better.
The good news about these muffins is that you only need one bowl to prepare them and no mixers, they turn out best if you just use a wooden spoon. The trick to getting bursts of blackberries in these muffins is to ever so gently fold the wet into the dry ingredients, being super careful not to break them!
Of course, it’s not the end of the world if a few break, but the explosion of a juicy blackberry in every other bite is one of the best things about these muffins. It’s the perfect contrast to the crunch the poppy seeds give.
Now, let’s talk about the little lift that the lemon gives. I added the zest of a whole large lemon and then added freshly squeezed lemon juice too, so you’re getting a double whammy of lemon in these beauties.
I may be biased, but these are some pretty muffins. The colours, the little flecks of black and then the chunks of purple…. all create a rainbow of colour and flavour.
Serve me one of these with a cup of coffee and I’ll be set for the day.
How pretty?!?! ^^ yellow and purple might be my new favourite colour combo!
Lemon and Blackberry Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups (350g) plain flour
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (100g) caster/white sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) light brown sugar
- 1 cup (150g) fresh blackberries
- Zest of 1 large or 2 small lemons
- 1/2 stick (56g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and line a 12 hole muffin tin with liners. I used jumbo liners and got 10 out of this recipe; it will make 12 regular size muffins.
- Place flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, bicarb, salt, sugars, blackberries and lemon zest into a large bowl and mix gently to coat all of the blackberries in flour. Leave to one side.
- Place eggs, vanilla and milk into a jug and beat together with a fork. Add in the slightly cooled melted butter and stir briefly.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and add in the lemon juice. Gently fold the mixture until there are no lumps of flour. Be very careful not to beat or mix too vigorously as the blackberries will break!
- Divide the mixture between your liners; filling them 3/4 of the way for jumbo muffins, or level for regular muffins and place in the oven for 15-20 mins for large muffins and 12-17 mins for regular muffins. Muffins are done when they're risen, golden on top and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Lemon and Blackberry Poppy Seed Muffins will keep in an airtight container, at room temperature, for 4 days. You can eat them at room temperature, or heat them in the microwave for 30 seconds and serve with butter!
I link up at these great Link Parties!