This Lemon and Raspberry French Toast Bake will have you going back for seconds and thirds! The perfect Spring flavour combination, this is a decadent weekend brunch recipe the whole family will love!
What is the most ridiculous thing you’ve ever cut yourself on?
I mean, when you’ve looked at yourself and gone “I can’t deal with myself, this is ridiculous”
Want to know mine?
A caramel cookie.
Yup. I’m laughing with you, don’t you worry!!! It was one of those moments where I was like “noooooooooo, I seriously have not just done that”
Let me explain: I was making cookies at work and we do a caramel one which (when I bake them anyway) are perfectly soft and chewy in the middle and then golden around the outside. They also have pieces of caramel that set up firm and if you happen to get a piece of caramel on the outer edge that spreads and then sets… well just watch out for those sharp edges 😉
It’s a good job I don’t take myself too seriously.
Now, let’s talk about this french toast bake. Spring seems to have FINALLY sprung here and I went for a walk in just a t-shirt yesterday and no jacket!!
When I think of Spring, I think of lemons. Their beautiful, light flavour makes already delicious things even more delectable. Add in some juicy raspberries and some French toast and you’ve got me hook, line and sinker.
A slight crunch on the top, soft, sweet and lemony in the middle, this French Toast Bake is so easy to make. I simply popped everything into an 8×8 inch square pan and then left it overnight to absorb all that liquid goodness.
In the morning, you just have to put it in the oven and then wait (patience is not a virtue I have) until it’s all golden and bubbly.
Grab a big spoon, sit around the table and dig into your new favourite Spring breakfast/brunch recipe!
Lemon and Raspberry French Toast Bake
- 14 oz (400g) loaf of white bread, cut into 1 inch cubes - I used brioche
- 1 cup (125g) raspberries
- 2 cups (480ml) milk
- 4 large eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup (50g) caster/white sugar
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling on top
- No need to preheat the oven yet, this needs to be made the night before and left to absorb the milk mixture.
- Spray an 8x8 inch square pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle half the raspberries on the bottom of the pan and then place all the cubes of bread into the pan. Sprinkle with remaining raspberries.
- Place the milk, eggs, lemon zest and sugar into a jug and beat gently with a fork until well combined and you can't see any ribbons of egg.
- Pour the egg mixture all over the bread gradually, giving it time to start absorbing into the bread.
- Once you've poured all of the mixture over the bread, cover loosely with cling film and leave to one side overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 180C/350F and sprinkle some granulated sugar onto the top of the french toast bake (optional, but it does add a lovely crunch!)
- Place into the oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden all over and the middle is just set when you wobble the pan. The edges will be firmer, this is fine.
- Leave to cool for 25-30 minutes until it has set firm enough to remove full slices! (By all means, grab a spoon and dig in fresh out of the oven, but it might not hold together perfectly!)
- Slice into 6-8 piece and serve - you can serve with maple syrup, extra sugar, lemon juice, extra raspberries - anything you fancy! Enjoy!
- Lemon and Raspberry French Toast Bake will keep covered, in the fridge, for 2 days. Top will not be crunchy though - you can serve cold from the fridge or reheat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.
I link up at these great Link Parties!