The perfect homemade Chocolate Cake Mix to keep in your pantry and have ready to make cupcakes, cakes and anything else you can think of!
Did you see my Homemade Cake Mix from a few weeks ago? I said I’d be working on more cake mix recipes and here we are: Homemade Chocolate Cake Mix!
I tried to just make the homemade cake mix into a chocolate one, but as I suspected with the cocoa powder, it needs a little tweak to make it work.
I also experimented with different sugars and have given you a couple of options in the recipe.
When you add cocoa powder to a recipe it runs the risk of turning out dry as old boots, so you need to be careful with the amount you add.
When I make chocolate cakes, I try to do a mixture of melted chocolate and cocoa powder to add richness and ensure there’s enough chocolate, whilst still being fudgey.
With cake mix, it’s a little different as you can’t have melted chocolate just laying around; so this is not a fudgey cake mix. This is your bog standard chocolate cake mix for cupcakes and cakes; I will be working on how to make it into a fudgey layer cake.
I’m not saying these cakes are dry, they’re lovely and have the perfect crumb, but sometimes you crave a real dark, rich, fudgey cake and I would advise making that from scratch.
I’m still super excited to continue experimenting with both cake mixes to make doughnuts, cookies, change the flavour slightly, the possibilities are endless!
Next week I’ll be sharing another from scratch cake recipe as it’s my birthday! I’ve decided to make a Vanilla Poppyseed Cake this year, so I’ll be developing that over the weekend and sharing it with you next week!
I hope you don’t mind, but next week I’ll only share one recipe as it takes a long time to publicise each post and I want Friday (my actual birthday) off to spend with my husband; my parents and great aunt are coming over next Sunday, so I just want some chill time 🙂
Enjoy this mix and have a great weekend!
Homemade Chocolate Cake Mix
- For the cake mix:
- 2 3/4 cups (385g) plain/all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) white/caster sugar* SEE NOTE
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- To make into cupcakes/cakes:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
- Frosting, jam, sprinkles for filling/topping
- To make the cake mix: Place the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder an salt into a large bowl and whisk until well combined. Store in an airtight container, at room temperature for 2 months.
- To make 24 cupcakes/two 8 inch cakes: Place the cake mix into a large bowl and add the eggs, vanilla and oil. Whisk until the mixture starts to come together and then add in the milk. Whisk until well combined and everything is smooth.
- For cupcakes: divide between 24 cupcake liners; placing 2tbsp of mixture into each liner and bake in the oven at 180C/350F for 18-22 minutes until risen and an inserted skewer into the centre comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool as soon as possible. Once cool, frost with desired icing and add sprinkles if desired.
- For 8 inch cakes: Grease two 8 inch pans and line the base of the pans with grease proof paper. Divide the cake batter evenly between each cake pan and bake at 180C/350F for 23-27 minutes, until risen and an inserted skewer into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool completely before filling with jam/buttercream and frosting the outside of the cake.