This Strawberry and Lemon Rice Pudding is the perfect comfort food for Summer! Light, sweet and with bursts of real strawberries, you’ll make this again and again!
Happy Tuesday! I have the most amazing rice pudding, just perfect for Summer for you today: Strawberry and Lemon Rice Pudding.
I’ve made Baked Rice Pudding before, but this time I went for the hob variety. To be honest, I can’t tell you which one I prefer. They are both delicious!!
I’ll definitely be making both again. You get that gorgeous skin on the baked variety, but the hob version is just as creamy and slightly quicker to make.
I’m relatively new to homemade rice pudding. But now I’ve started, I can’t stop! It’s just glorious and way better than anything I’ve bought from a shop.
You can use pudding rice or arborio rice to make this Strawberry and Lemon Rice Pudding. I only had arborio to hand so I used that and it made no difference to the overall dish. It’s still soft, creamy, comforting… all the things a good rice pudding should be!
As the days get longer and warmer, I usually go towards no bake desserts, but I feel like the lemon in this rice pudding really lifts it and makes it so perfect for Summer.
It adds a gorgeous fragrance, it’s amazing what the zest of one lemon can do! I decided against making a strawberry compote for the top and instead waited until I had turned the heat off to add in diced fresh strawberries.
The strawberries just start to get soft after a few minutes in the warm rice mixture and that intensifies the flavour.
When you get a whole mouthful of this amazing rice pudding you’ll be hooked! I couldn’t stop eating it and it’s going to become a go to dessert in my house!
You can make it with any milk you have around and the only other ingredients are rice, sugar, lemon zest and strawberries. This is a simple recipe, that makes the perfect dessert!
Strawberry and Lemon Rice Pudding
- 1 cup (230g) pudding or Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup (100g) caster/white sugar
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 4 cups (960ml) milk, full fat makes it super creamy, but you can use any milk; I used skimmed
- 1 cup (150g) diced fresh strawberries
- Extra strawberries, sliced and lemon zest to garnish, optional
- Place the pudding rice, sugar, lemon zest and milk into a large saucepan and place over a medium heat. Stir until combined and bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling, turn the heat right down low and simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring frequently so the bottom doesn't burn until the rice is soft and fluffy and most of the liquid is gone. You want some liquid, but by this stage it will be thick and creamy.
- Remove from the heat and add in the diced strawberries, stir to disperse them into the mixture evenly and leave to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Strawberry and Lemon Rice Pudding is best eaten fresh, but you can cool it completely, store in an airtight container in the fridge and microwave when ready to serve. You may need to add a splash more milk before you microwave as the rice absorbs even more liquid when it's cooling and stored overnight!