These Pumpkin Churro French Toast Bites are tiny bites of pure heaven. Rolled in pumpkin, and cinnamon sugar, you will love dipping these French Toast Bites into chocolate or maple syrup!
Hi guys! How are you? I have these super delicious Pumpkin Churro French Toast Bites to share with you today!! It’s been a while since I was in a kitchen baking, I was worried I’d forgotten how to bake! And I’m actually in a new kitchen… Well I say new. The kitchen is old, but the location is new! We are ripping out the kitchen next year and can’t wait to design our own dream kitchen.
For now, I’m having to deal with a super old, single oven. No roasts for us in the near future! There just isn’t the room. I did bring my oven from the old house though haha. It’s sat in the garage, all wrapped up and waiting for us to do the kitchen. There was no way I was leaving my super nice, only 1 year old oven in the house we’re going to rent out. That baby was moving with us.
The last few months have been the most stressful of our lives. We worked out last night that we haven’t been in the same place for 7 days in 3 months. Before we moved, we were spending weekends at the new house decorating the living room. Then, when we first moved, we had a couple of Mon-Fri’s where we stayed in the new house. However, at the weekends we were back at the old one decorating. Then we stayed there for 6 days, then we’d be back here for a couple of days. Then we had to go up North for a few days for hubby’s new job.
This is the first week where we are home all week and all weekend and I cannot wait. It also means I can get back to doing what I love; baking and beauty!
So, let’s get into how I made these delicious Pumpkin Churro French Toast Bites!
I adore churros dipped into rich, chocoatey sauce. However, I also love French Toast Bites and pumpkin. So what’s a girl to do when she’s craving all of the above? Marry the two together and make Pumpkin Churro French Toast Bites of course!!
These are so simple to make, yet utterly irresistible. I dare you not to eat them all in one go! Cinnamon sugar is one of my favourite things ever, married with earthy pumpkin, I just couldn’t wait to taste these French Toast Bites.
You’ll need a loaf of bread (I use Brioche), some pumpkin purée, vanilla, spices, milk, eggs, cinnamon, sugar and then chocolate and maple syrup for serving. That’s it! This is the perfect way for me to kick off pupmpkin season!
To make these Pumpkin Churro French Toast Bites I cut the brioche into 1 inch cubes. Then I rolled them in a pumpkin egg mixture before frying them until golden. This will take a couple of minutes. You’ll pobably have to cook them in batches, so they don’t become crowded in the pan.
Once they’re fried, I let them cool ever so slightly before rolling them in cinnamon sugar.
I decided to serve them with small dipping bowls of maple syrup and chocolate sauce. I normally use a Belgian Chocolate sauce from Waitrose, but that’s still packed somewhere, so I melted 3oz of milk chocolate for this recipe and it was delicious.
These French Toast Bites are the perfect fun snack, or brunch. If you don’t want to do bites, why not make these into French Toast Sticks? They will still be so delicious, just make sure to cook them a little longer!
The flavours marry together so well. I love how versatile pumpkin is. You can use it in so many recipes, sweet or savoury. And who doesn’t love a churro? I love any kind of fried goodness, especially when it’s rolled in cinnamon sugar!
If you make these, make sure to tag me on Instagram! I love seeing what you make, my IG is @anniesnomsblog.
Pumpkin Churro French Toast Bites
- FOR THE FRENCH TOAST BITES:
- 2/3 loaf of Brioche/white bread of your choice (around 266g – it's OK if it's a little over!)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup +1 heaping tbsp (100ml) milk, I used oat, use whatever you have
- 1/4 cup (60g) pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- FOR THE CINNAMON SUGAR:
- 2/3 cup (132g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- FOR DIPPING:
- Maple syrup/caramel sauce/chocolate dipping sauce (such as Waitrose Belgian Chocolate Sauce); you can also melt 3oz/85g of milk chocolate to use as a dip.
- Cut your slightly stale bread into 1/2 – 1 inch cubes. Alternatively, if your bread is fresh, cut into cubes and leave out on a baking tray to dry out for an hour.
- Place the egg, milk, pumpkin purée, brown sugar, ginger, nutmeg and vanilla into a medium sized bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Place the caster sugar and ground cinnamon into a small bowl and stir until combined. Leave to one side.
- Place 1tbsp of butter into a large frying pan and heat over a medium heat. While the pan is heating up, toss half the bread cubes in the pumpkin egg mixture.
- Once the butter is melted, (be careful not to brown it) place half of the bread cubes into the pan and fry for 3-5 minutes until golden. Turn every minute or so, so that all the sides get browned. Toss the remaining bread cubes in the pumpkin egg mixture.
- Transfer the cooked French Toast Bites to a plate and place another 1tbsp of butter into the pan. Wait for it to melt and for the pan to reach temperature again, then tip the remaining cubes of bread into the pan. Fry as above until golden, then place on a plate.
- While the bread is still warm, toss batches in the cinnamon sugar and place on another clean plate. Once all of the French Toast Bites are covered in sugar, serve with maple syrup and/or chocolate sauce. I like to place the maple syrup and sauce into dipping bowls and the French Toast Bites into a small bowl to serve.
- Pumpkin Churro French Toast Bites are best eaten immediately.